Sunday, February 24, 2008

A MEDICAL WHIRL WIND WEEKEND

Friday started normal I had more errands to run than I wanted to so I wasn't home all morning. Through out the day Maryn started coughing and just wouldn't stop. Around 6:00 she would cough until she threw up. She threw up on me 3 times. Then the night set in and that was a real treat. She was having trouble breathing. Her nose was plugged really bad and then her breaths were really rapid and shallow. I basically stayed awake and listened to her breath. Then in the morning I gave her a breathing treatment. Well first I called the nurse (vanessa, what would I do without her) to see what to do. Then a few hours later with her breathing not improving and being really lathargic she got a fever (I also talked to steph whose daughter has had pneumonia to see how to detect that). I decided to take her into insta care. I hate those places because they always seem to be very dirty. They got us in pretty quick and then checked her out. Her oxygen intake was really low so they gave her another treatment with oxygen, gave her tylenol, took a chest x-ray all to say she has a virus and there is not much more they can do for her. Just keep up on the breathing treatments and if she gets worse take her to the ER. That was comforting but then she started to do better. I could tell. When I got home our neighbor whose a chiropractor was watching our kids and he adjusted her to help her breath better. Sure enough about 10 minutes later she got down and started to play around. She wore out quickly though and wanted to be held again but that was a major improvement. Then Austin sounded like he was getting this wonderful cold as well. But he wasn't coughing hardly at all so I wasn't to worried. The kids went to bed we checked on them at about 11:30 and Austin was doing just fine. At 12:30 we woke up to him freaking out because he couldn't breath. We did a treatment with a steroid and a second one with albuterol with really not a whole lot of improvement. That is the scariest thing to witness. To watch your child be scared to death and trying to breath. It is a horrible feeling. Needless to say Adam rushed to the ER (it's about 10 minutes away) and the night begun. I called my mom for her reassuring calmness. She's amazing and I love her so much. To make a story short Austin had to have 2 breathing treatments, a steroid, and a chest x-ray. If he'd had to have had 1 more treatment they would have admitted him to the hospital. Luckily he was fine and was able to come home at 5:00 a.m. Austin had a great time and thought that it was funny that daddy was falling asleep on the bed with him while he got to watch cartoons. He didn't fall asleep at all. Then this morning he was awake at 7:00 with his siblings. He loved that he got apple juice and animal crackers. Little does he know that I could buy those things for a whole lot less than it's going to cost us through the hospital. Oh well. He's alive and he can breath and that is all that matters. I'm so grateful for modern medicine and as much as I hate them for the facilities we were able to take our kids to. And that they are home and doing so much better. Life is crazy and this is just a small example of things never going as expected, but as always being watched over all the time.

6 comments:

L and T said...

Hey Kollen! Welcome to Blogging!
Looks like you are enjoying Las Vegas!
Its fun how many marchant cousins have started blogs, good way to keep in touch
Take care
Louise

Chelsi said...

Wow! Too much medical excitement, I'd say. I'm glad that they are all doing well, now. And, I hope none of the rest of your kids catch it. Good luck!

Chels said...

Wow!! How scary!! I'm glad they are both feeling better. Bree has asthma and she has done the cough-till-you-throw-up thing so much. It took them a while to figure out that it was asthma and now that we know, it's a lot easier to manage. It's still scary when she gets to that point though, and it's hard to keep her calm when she can't breathe. I hope they stay feeling better!

LeAnn said...

Yuck, we've experienced the cough till ya throw up many times too. I hope you recover from your all nighters. A few more weeks and we'll all be out of this sickness season. Take care!

Kimmer said...

Kollen, I have enjoyed reading your blog and catching up on what you are doing. I have been a horrible blogger lately! By the way, you never know, I might come through Vegas sometime. My partner has family in St. George that we will do pictures for. So I will let you know. I hope you are all feeling better!

The Vegas Veenendaal's said...

Hey Kollen, I'm so sorry you have had such a hard couple weeks with sick kids! I hope things are on the up swing for you now! I'm excited for the lunch tomorrow, I will see you then!
Stephanie :)