Tuesday, July 15, 2008

When are you due?

So those of you who know me well and have suffered through my pregnancy's with me you'll have de ja vu. It seems as though I am always in a new ward when I get pregnant so I continue to amaze people at how big I get. Well it is the same this time. It starts when I'm about 12 weeks along and continues til the end. There are several scenarios. First it's the When are you due question. Followed by really large eyes and then the inevitable questions "Are you having twins." Lately, the switch that tells people to shut up and not continue any further is broken in every human being I meet. Because that questions is then followed with wow, your really big or wow, that can't be. Second scenarios is...Wow, you must be due any day. Which I reply No I have a few months. And the response is, "Are you sure?". To which I want to yell, Of course I'm sure you idiot would you like to know the last day of my period or rather should I show you the ultrasound picture's. I've even had a lady ask if she could touch my stomach and why was it so big because the baby isn't that big yet. What the hell? Come on now why don't you just say wow your a fat cow and there must be something wrong with you. Anyways, Sunday was no exception. First a husband of a good friend says, So, wow, you must be due any day. , Then an ultrasound tech who see's pregnant ladies all of the time said the same thing. Luckily her switch to not continue was on and she left it at that. But then I found out that I was the topic of PEC that morning. They were talking about expectant mothers and one of them said, "Well, what about sister marchant?" A counselor that knows us better just kind of snickered and said "Oh no, She has a couple of more months." What!! That can't be, came the reply. Keep in mind this gentlemens wife had twins so he's used to larger pregnancies.
So needless to say I feel as fit and slim as a large elephant and I still have 3 1/2 months to go. Wow! this should be exciting! Hope everyone else's Sunday was more complimentary then mine. Have a great day.

13 comments:

Chelsi said...

Are you sure???!!! What is that all about? I can't exactly relate to your exact experience, but I have had my share of experiences where people needed to just keep their thoughts to themselves. Makes you wonder why more people don't take their own advice to think before they speak, eh? Maybe we need to invent a gag that you can shoot at someone's mouth to just save the frustration and urge to strangle somebody. Good luck with it!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry! I had someone ask if I was due anytime soon...when I was 5 months! When I said no...I have 4 more months...they then said the same thing you get..."with twins?"....NOPE JUST ONE! THANKS! People are quite rude these days! I think you look great and you don't look like an elephant!!!!

Chels said...

Some people really don't use their brains do they? That's got to be frustrating. I've found in other things that people seem to not care for anyone else's feelings anymore. I don't understand it. What's wrong with being polite? I'm sorry! I haven't seen you but I'm sure you look beautiful!! Good luck!

Kamille said...

Feel. Your. Pain. I also have had my recent share of people's idiotic comments about how large my stomach is. "It's my 4th" is my reply. Or when people ask, "are you due any day now?" I usually try to make them feel as idiotic as their question with a "no, I'm barely half way, I just get huge enough for people to wonder." I just hope I never forget and become the idiot. Love you!!!

Karen said...

I am sorry! Some people are so insensitive! Take care. Thanks for your help with the kids these few days.

mariann and Tory said...

Kollen you no we all love you right? Your pregnancys always facinate me! You are awesome!(411 you aren't an elephant you just experience pregnancy differently and may I add at least you loose the weight REALLY quick!)

Chels said...

Hello again! I just tagged you! Check out my blog for details! Hope your having a wonderful day.

LaDonna and Ben said...

Kollen I love you, your hilarious. Most pregnancy questions shouldn't ever be asked. Maybe you should start yelling at the top of your lungs next sunday when someone asks one of those questions. Everyone will get the hint really fast.

Traci said...

People are so mean. I had the same thing when I was pregnant asking if I was due soon and I said I still have eight weeks to go and they said well are you having twins? UM no. Think before you say anything looser. I am so sorry this happens. Next time kick them.

Sabrina said...

With Luke people asked me if I was having twins all the time. THEN with Sylvia and this baby people tell me that me belly looks small which isn't a compliment, especially since with Sylvia I had (or she had whatever) low amniotic fluid so I was worried anyway and people's comments made me more worried. So moral of my story is, PEOPLE, JUST DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL TO PREGNANT WOMEN.

Rachel said...

Kollen, you crack me up. I am sorry you keep getting that. It baffles me that other women who have been pregnant and felt like a cow STILL say things like that. I had a Russian subsitute tell me that she NEVER got as big as i was even when she was at 9 months - I was 4 months pregnant. I seriously almost punched her in the face. I wonder if that would send the message effectively enough. Then when people asked why they had a fat lip they'd have to explain their idiocy. :) You don't look bad so maybe just say something rude back.:)

Kimmer said...

Kollen, a couple of months ago a lady at church patted my belly and asked if I was expecting. I just stood there stunned because I am not!!!! I get many of the same comments. With my last baby I was at Target when a little girl came up to me and asked if I was going to have a baby. As se stared at my stomach she then asked if I was going to have two babies. I replied that I was only having one. She then thought for a moment and said "well, I guess it's going to be a big baby!" I had to fight the tears all the way home. The only comfort I have, is that I have had these experiences during all of my pregnancies and I was a lot smaller with my first than my last. People just need to keep their mouths shut!

The Vegas Veenendaal's said...

Kollen,
When I'm pregnant my belly doesn't hardly stick out until the very end, so in the mean time everyone just thinks that I am getting fat and gaining weight all over. I love baby bellies... I've always wanted one... hee, hee! I think you look great, and you dress way cute too. :)
Steph